Facebook has a tool called the Facebook Graph Search tool. This search tool keeps a log of all your activities on Facebook including searches, likes and page activities.
Although your log activities on Facebook are shown only to you, Facebook still has it. It’s possible for the Government or any other top organization to request for it (for good reasons). This comes in handy to know criminals activities and their preferences.
Facebook Graph Search: A Friend or Foe
According to some top tech company sites, while the Facebook Graph search tool is useful, it can be also creepy, as it goes beyond just keeping logs of your data.
The Facebook Graph Search acts like data miner, by harvesting user profile data and other sensitive information you’ve made available on your profile page. The Facebook Graph search makes some information available for the world to see, and scammers and bad guys can exploit this to steal or know much about you. This is a con of the Graph Search Tool. The only way to avoid this is to avoid entering sensitive information in your Facebook account page.
The Facebook Graph Search creates a public database known as Open source intelligence (QSINT). This QSINT contains basic data or information of people that is publicly available for everybody to see and have access to. If you have put much personal information about yourself on facebook both on profile and publicly, then QSINT has it all. The only way to avoid this is to reduce a lot of personal information on Facebook.
Your Search history is also being logged by Facebook. But not to worry it’s only available to you (i.e only you can see them). Nevertheless, Facebook has access to it, and your data logs are available in your Facebook account as well. So anybody that can have access to your Facebook account will be able to see your search history.
How to Clear your Facebook Graph Search History
Follow the steps below to clear your Facebook Graph Search history.
- Visit the Facebook homepage in a web browser, and Log in to your account page.
- Visit your timeline page by clicking on your name or profile picture.
- Click on “Activity Log” at the bottom right corner of your cover photo.
- Click to check the ‘checkbox’ next to the “Include Only Me Activity”. You can find this at the top of the page. Note: this step helps to make your search activity available in the next step.
- The left-hand side of the page is the activity log page, click on the “more” link under the menu section, to expand the list.
- Select the “Search” option at the bottom of the list.
- The Search activity will be displayed to you. To clear your search history, select the “clear search” at the top right corner of the page.
- You will see a page stating “Are you sure you want to clear your searches?”, Click the “Clear Searches” to confirm this action. Immediately, all your search history will be cleared from your Facebook account page and anywhere else.
NOTE: Clearing your search history does not mean subsequent searches will be cleared. You may have to repeat these steps again because Facebook will continually log your search history unless you clear it. However, if you don’t choose to clear it, your search history is only available to you and Facebook.